If you are thinking of writing a CV it pays to do some research first.
It used to be OK to create a document with your name, address, a list of where you have worked and or studied and some reference names at the bottom; but in these days of AI led recruitment and LinkedIn searches, it really does pay to be a bit savvy before putting pen to paper.
Here are 5 things you need to consider before you write your CV:
1. Who is reading your CV? If you do not know who is going to be reading your CV you need to make sure it works equally well for a human reader and AI. ATS - applicant tracking systems, are programmed to search for keywords based on the person and the skills the recruiter is looking for.
2. What does a recruiter want to know? It is not good enough to feature your previous job descriptions hoping that the information will match the specification of the job you are applying for. Recruiters want to see how you contributed, your key achievements and that you have made a difference in previous roles.
3. What are the keywords for the role you want? This is pretty straight forward, if you don't know what the keywords are then your CV is unlikely to include them and therefore will undersell you to the human reader and be invisible to AI.
4. Did you know that you must tailor the CV for each application? Know what you need to say in your CV in order to have an impact on the recruiter. That does not mean you lie, it means you emphasise the skills the recruiter is looking for and edit out the irrelevant bits to make a punchier, more compelling read.
5. What are the company's values? Look at the website of the company you are applying to to find out what their mission statement is and what they value. If you are not able to reflect these in your CV, you will definitely have the opportunity to do so in your cover letter.
Writing a CV is not complicated, in fact the subject matter is at your finger tips (or in your head!). The important thing is how you write it and what you do and do not say, so taking the time to do your homework will reap rewards later.
For further information about CV writing contact CV experts New CV.
#cvwriting #writingacv #cvtips # cvhelp #cvwritingservice
New CV is driven by Jaqui Winston, who has been writing CVs and LinkedIn profiles since 2013 and previously enjoyed a 25-year career in sales, marketing and management.